|Debut Appearance||New Super Mario Bros.|
|Latest Appearance||New Super Mario Bros. U|
Star Coins are collectible coins that are found in New Super Mario Bros., New Super Mario Bros. Wii and in Super Mario 3D Land, where they are renamed as Star Medals. Three Star Coins are found in each level and can be easy to collect or hard to collect depending on the power-up that the players have.
There are 240 Star Coins in New Super Mario Bros. as there are 80 levels. Each coin will add 1,000 points to the game score. There are only 231 Star Coins in New Super Mario Bros. Wii because of the seventy-seven levels. Though they will add 4,000 points to the player's game score instead of 1,000.
 New Super Mario Bros.
- Used for opening Star Gates that lead to Toad Houses or bonus letter levels. Thirty-two of them can be found in the game and require five Star Coins to open.
- Can be used to buy new backgrounds. This can happen after completing the game once, as there will be a blue Toad House that appears north of level [[World 1-1(NSMB)|1-1. There is five backgrounds to choose from that cost twenty Star Coins each.
- Collecting all 240 Star Coins will add a second star next to the save file.
- Spending all Star Coins will unlock the final Touch Screen Background and leave a message next to the Star Coin symbol on the top screen saying "All Spent".
 New Super Mario Bros. Wii
- Used for buying Hint Movies.
- Helps unlock levels in World 9. The player will need to get all Star Coins in one world to unlock the level(example. All star coins in World 8 unlock 9-8).
- Adds a star next to the Save File. Collecting all Star Coins in World 9, adds another star.
 Super Mario 3D Land
Star Coins return in Super Mario 3D Land, but are known as 'Star Medals. In each level, there are three Star Medals to be found. It is necessary to collect them as some levels can only be played by having a certain amount of Star Medals. There is 285 Star Medals in total and an unknown number with Mystery Box medals. They can be used to unlock castles, Mystery Boxes and other things. However, unlike New Super Mario Bros. Wii your star medals will NOT dissapear.
 New Super Mario Bros. 2
Star Coins appear in the Nintendo 3DS title, New Super Mario Bros. 2. They will return with their appearance from the first New Super Mario Bros. and be used to open Star Coin Signs. There is a total of 240 to be collected.
Related Threadshow to get all star coins - last post by @ Apr 24, 2010
star coins - last post by @ Aug 3, 2011
Two star coins left!! - last post by @ Jul 29, 2014
How many of you can collect ALL star coins without reading any guide? - last post by @ Mar 18, 2010
3 Star Coins to Go... Where are they? - last post by @ Jul 22, 2007